We celebrate two of the world’s most beloved saints this week–St. Thérèse of Lisieux (October 1) and St. Francis of Assisi (October 4). Time to break open some mobile apps that can help us get better acquainted with these two spiritual giants popular with Catholics and non-Catholics alike.
Saint of the Day ($2.99) iOS St. Anthony Messenger’s most popular Web feature since 1997 is now available as an app. Saint of the Day allows you to carry the wisdom of the saints with you everywhere you go. SPECIAL FEATURES: Audio option included; Saints for every day of the year; Revised and updated to include both new and classic saints; extensive searchable database (by saint or cause); list of patron saints; Interactive calendar.
iPieta.($.99) Full version in iOS. Android version is split up into several lite apps. This major app is loaded with liturgical, catechetical and spiritual texts. Among the spiritual writings it contains: just about everything Thérèse of Lisieux wrote, including her letters. Remarkable that we can get all that stuffed into our little phones or tablets, is it not?
Life of St. Francis of Assisi ($1.99) Blackberry. The Life of St. Francis by Fr. Candide Chalippe is packed with an easy to use functional book reader which means you can download the app and start reading. Full-length e-book.
St. Francis of Assisi app (Free) Android This is a cheesy little app with vintage holy card pictures but we can appreciate the thumbnail sketch it provides for this “patron saint of animals.” Yes, that kind of trivializes St. Francis, but for the price, you get some information about St Francis, a Daily Prayer, A Prayer for Animals, Franciscan Blessing of the Animals and The Canticle of the Sun.
The Life and Legends of Saint Francis of Assisi (Free) e-book The 1917 study of the stories surrounding Saint Francis. By Father Candide Chalippe, O.F.M. Granted, some of this scholarship is deficient, but you get a nice overview of the stories surrounding this remarkable holy man for your edification and meditation. To learn how to download e-books to your mobile device, click here.
– “The Story of a Soul”; The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux (the Little Flower)
– “The Imitation of Christ” by Thomas a Kempis (a favorite book of St. Therese!)
– “Confessions” by St. Augustine
– “The Introduction to the Devout Life” by St. Francis de Sales
– “True Devotion to Mary” by St. Louis de Montfort
– “Practice of the Presence of God” by Br. Lawrence of the Resurrection
– “The Ascent of Mt. Carmel” by St. John of the Cross
– “The Friendship of Christ” by Mgsr. Robert Hugh Benson
– “The Interior Castle” by St. Teresa of Avila
– “The Way of Perfection” by St. Teresa of Avila
Finally, we remind you that October 4 is the Pope’s feast day! Jump on his Twitter account to send him warm wishes @Pontifex.